Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Chris Goff
Topic Author

New Moves

Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:25 pm

Recentley i have started to go kitein on my own, with one kite and one set of lines. I have masstered the multi lazy and can now get the kite while its spinning to move accross the window as well as running round it etc.

But my fave new trick of the moment is a comete and as you go through u over input on one axel and pull the other line hard. The kite sits onto its back and does a lazy in the opposite direction, then obviously u can do multi lazies after ect.

Is this a new trick?

Bastiaan
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:49 pm

No, I have been doing that for years, it is called the sky-skiver.
Bastiaan.

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:58 pm

Thats the same move that Sasha was doing with the Transfer at Southampton. I got it once by accident with a Nirvana at Eurocup. Great looking move. I think that we called it a Crazy Comete at the time. Sky Diver sounds pretty cool though.

I have not seen anybody flying it with any regularity yet, so yes I reckon that it is a pretty new move in the UK.
Andy

Bastiaan
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:52 am

sky-skiver you mean!! :)
Bastiaan.

Chris Goff
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:03 pm

lol, it has taken me since southampton to get it down to a regular trick!! Guess its just one of those things.

spence602

Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:51 am

No - there are no "new" tricks.

Andy's done them all. :-P
Spence

abw

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:11 am

spence602 wrote:
No - there are no "new" tricks.

There are very rarely any new individual tricks - the backspin would probably be the last one that came along, and that's going back 5 or so years now.

However, there is a whole world of combinations out there just waiting to be discovered. :-)

A

Phillip

Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:53 am

abw wrote:
There are very rarely any new individual tricks - the backspin would probably be the last one that came along, and that's going back 5 or so years now.

Which reminds me. As far as I understand it a Backspin is a rotation, initiated from the fade position, around an axis along the spine of the kite.

So, what do you call the same rotation when the kite starts in a Turtle position? I'm sure I saw some of the French flyers doing this with Transfers in Dieppe and I'd not seen that move before.

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:02 am

Phillip wrote:
So, what do you call the same rotation when the kite starts in a Turtle position? I'm sure I saw some of the French flyers doing this with Transfers in Dieppe and I'd not seen that move before.

Lazy Susan.

Bastiaan
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

lazy susan, or lazy Bastiaan as my wife just told me, get back to work you!
Bastiaan.

abw

Phillip wrote:

If the kite passes <i>under</i> the lines and goes into a fade, or continues into a backspin, then it's a "shove-it" in my lexicon (borrowed from skateboarding when you flip the board around flat under your feet). This is in contrast to a lazy susan where the wing tips hook <i>over</i> the lines.

It's technically the same thing as an inverted flat spin. Jason Winter does these very nicely at the edge of the window, rather like an inverted flashback. It's also very similar to the second part of the Comet, although in the Comet the kite doesn't really settle down on it's back.

A

Phillip

Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:08 am

Andy wrote:
Phillip wrote:

Lazy Susan.

Ah. So that's where I'm getting confused. In a Lazy Susan the kite stays flat, on it's back. I'd assumed that, in a backspin the kite stays nose towards you, with the spine horizontal as the kite rotates around the spine. Which means I'm now looking for a name for that, along with the opposite version above.

monkey

Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:11 am

I must admit that I'm nearly always confused in putting names to tricks I see, even the 'basic' ones: still a newbie! ... Thanks Philip for your description of a backspin: at last I understand! .. I wonder if it's worth starting a glossary of trick names, their akas and descriptions? (or does such a thing already exist?)

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:18 am

Peter Peters' Kite Site has a very good list of tricks:

http://www.idemployee.id.tue.nl/p.j.f.p ... index.html

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:05 am

abw wrote:

Here we go again... IMO the Comete is definitely a new trick of its own (yes, I know you don't want to agree for some reason). A good flyer can turn Multi(ple) Axels into a reasonable approximation of a Comete, and the C has its roots in the Multiaxel/Torpille stuff, but it deserves a page of its own int the book of tricks by now.

Also, I would consider the fast, aggressive, almost slack-less Multilazy a different trick from a Lazy Susan (or even a "multiple Lazy Susan"). They share quite a few things at a basic level, but so do the Backspin and the Barrel Roll for instance, and they've generally thought of as 2 separate tricks.

Both of the above came along after the backspin. Saying that a trick is "just a derivative" if it happens to share some elements with earlier stuff is implying that everything that happened, say, 7-8 years ago had more worth than what's being done today because it was original.

Juha