Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

elgreebo
Topic Author

Ageing buggier getting back to trick kites

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi folks
 This is my first post here, hoping this is the right topic for this section. I'm just getting back into flying duel line kites after spending the last 20 years kite buggying and using quad lines, still am buggying but getting a bit long in the tooth to do it all day so was planning on getting back into trick flying on days I just can't be arsed getting the buggy out. I had a Felxifoil Matrix back in the day and a Flexi Psycho for windy days ( definately showing my age here) I realise kite technology has come on considerably since the late 90's and just wondering what would be a good "new" trick kite to get. I was fairly proficient with the Matrix but found the Psycho quite tricky to get a grip of because it was so fast and only flown in strong winds. I've been looking at the Benson range and they loook the business, but after 20 odd years out the game do you think I'd be better getting something a bit cheaper first to get my head round the new capabilities of modern kites, and if so what?
 I appreciate any advice you folks can offer.
  Cheers
     Stew. :-)

BigT

Re: Ageing buggier getting back to trick kites

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:10 pm

straight to the benson dude
i know i should've the £120 i put on my reloaded is dead money unless letting somebody else have a go and I've picked up a couple of preloved bensons for less

elgreebo
Topic Author

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:50 pm

I thought as much Big T, what do you reckon would be best, I'm thinking Deep Space, but intrigued by the Gemini, the SN And SF look like they are for higher wind conditions due to their aspect ratio, but just not sure.... Budget isn't really an issue, just want the best one to get for learning the faster techniques required for the new kites.Thanks for your advice mate.

BigT

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:25 am

I'm only learning but have sn, sf and ds now and a gem next after the sn ul i like the fly in higher winds i went for the sn first with both sets of spreaders

garajau000

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:31 pm

With a good kite is easier to learn. Between benson kites I recommend SN to learn. Does the tricks and you have better control.

elgreebo
Topic Author

Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Went for the Deep Space in the end, had it a week or so now but conditions have been poor so only had it out the once, I knew straight away I'd made the right choice spending a bit more money on a descent kite. Cant wait for balmy summer nights to really get into it again. cheers

flat out

Wed May 30, 2018 7:55 am

Kicking up an old thread. But im in the same boat for an old buggier getting back into trick flying.
How are you finding the Deep Space?
Freestyle kite buggier... attempting to learn how to freestyle deltas

Davey

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:18 pm

Hadn't realised that it's been nigh on 4 1/2 years since I last logged on here, and almost the same since I had any serious air-time. Thought that since I had my 'inaugural' flight of 2018 this weekend, I would pop in and say 'Hi... remember me?'
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

711jrp

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:26 pm

I sure do Davey.....
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

Andy S
King of FA

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:15 am

Hi Davey! 

Wondering if I might get a kite out this year... or if I'll let another summer slip by... 

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Flew my kite on the beach in Bude last week, first time since last September :D