Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Jieming
Topic Author

Taking a kite on board a plane as hand luggage

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:18 pm

Fly to Fuertaventura on Saturday, which I hear is a kite flying Mecca but will I be allowed to take the kite on board as hand luggage? I've folded it in double so I don't think there will be size problem but I'm more concerned about security thinking it might be used a dangerous object.
It won't fit in the suitcase so only other option is to box it up and risk checking it in.

Will it get confiscated?

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Taking a kite on board a plane as hand luggage

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Do you have time to buy a bigger suitcase?
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:03 pm

To Lanzarote (this february) I took my Speedbag folded in half, had 4 kites in it.
Just had it hanging over my shoulder when we checked in.
No one asked a question.

Krijn

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:20 pm

I took a couple to Cyprus in lengths of 4" drainpipe in a bag. Not one question - I was quite disappointed :D

bstardchild

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:47 pm

I've done it many times in various methods

Short breaks on cut price European flights - I always take smaller kites (Psycho, BOT, Kaos and Obsession) packed down to original package size go in hand luggage or hold luggage

Long haul and I take larger Kites as well so I have a full length kite bag that I have a length of 4 or 5 inch drain pipe inside it (this gives the kites some added protection and I can put all the flying lines, wrist straps, spares and consumables as well as a junior hacksaw - see note - in there as well) it goes in oversize luggage (along with strollers and push chairs or golf bags) first time I did that I thought it would take ages to come through to the baggage area but I've since found that the vast majority of times it arrive first along with all the push chairs.

In the USA I get asked if it's rifles or shotguns in the bag during checks but once they know it's Kites they are good as gold

I've never ever been charged extra for them - mention sports equipment and they don't want to charge - Pretty sure they don't charge for strollers with but I reckoned I'd struggle to convince any check in staff that it was a stroller.

Regarding the hacksaw - I did once forget on the return trip and left it in my everyday rucksack which I had as carry on - cue a very interesting discussion with Miami Airport staff - they kept the blade and I continued with just the hacksaw minus the cutting blade
Adrenaline, Psycho, BOT, Kaos, Obsession , Generation, Club sport (2), Dharma SP Ultralight, Baby Tana, Neutrino, Rev and a couple of duvets

Jieming
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:20 pm

Thanks for all the responses. You just never know how security will judge things like this. Ive already lost a couple of vernier calipers in the recent past cause I forgot they were in my bag.
Anyway. Bought an architects drawing tube today and the supernova fits in perfectly.

bstardchild

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:31 pm

Have good time and hope you get plenty of flying time. Pics of kites in action appreciated on your return. Mrs BC has lousey eyesight and shakey hands so I never get decent pics of me flying kites - lucky if she even gets the kite in frame let alone focus.
Adrenaline, Psycho, BOT, Kaos, Obsession , Generation, Club sport (2), Dharma SP Ultralight, Baby Tana, Neutrino, Rev and a couple of duvets

dszo

Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Jieming wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. You just never know how security will judge things like this. Ive already lost a couple of vernier calipers in the recent past cause I forgot they were in my bag.
Anyway. Bought an architects drawing tube today and the supernova fits in perfectly.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk