Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Floater
Topic Author

Best wind speeds

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:27 pm

I know most kites in the STD range cover 16moh wind speeds, but this seems a bit high to learn tricks in, what would be the optimum wind conditions?

Thanks

Sean
Brookite Typhoon, HQ Tramontana retro, HQ Maestro II PAW/ Steve C modded, Monster, Benson Deep Space custom.

Some of the gear, no idea.

jaydub

Re: Best wind speeds

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:41 pm

5-10 mph is the optimum wind range for most standards.

Floater
Topic Author

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:28 pm

jaydub wrote:
5-10 mph is the optimum wind range for most standards.

Thanks, not seen that since I decided to fly kites, ha ha.
Brookite Typhoon, HQ Tramontana retro, HQ Maestro II PAW/ Steve C modded, Monster, Benson Deep Space custom.

jaydub

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:33 pm

Shitty British weather. Only flown 3 or 4 times this year so far. And when the wind is right, you always have other commitments. ;)

Floater
Topic Author

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:32 pm

jaydub wrote:
Shitty British weather. Only flown 3 or 4 times this year so far. And when the wind is right, you always have other commitments. ;)

Well just got back in after wanting to fly and it cost me, two snapped leading edges and a spine, wind 6-12 and the odd gust never been hit so hard at the perfect wrong time mid high speed spin. :oops: :oops: :cry: :-({|= Happy days.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:05 pm

Its not the wind speed that matters so much - but the quality of the wind.

You realize this when you live inland - in crappy winds and then vacation at the beach - with smooth winds.

In smooth winds you can fly a STD in very light conditions ... whereas in land you'd be using a UL or SUL.

--

But *above* 10mph tricking becomes increasingly more problematic ... with some kites prone to "powering up" resulting in excessive speed or pull.

Of course that varies from kite to kite, the SuperFly is great in 12mph - the BMK Exile is bit of a handful.

And much above 15mph its really not worth the effort - not for me anyways.

-Frazer
Last edited by fworley on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Floater
Topic Author

Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:14 pm

fworley wrote:
Its not the wind speed that matters so much - but the quality of the wind.

You realize this when you live inland - in crappy winds and then vacation at the beach - with smooth winds.

In smooth winds you can fly a STD in very light conditions ... whereas in land you'd be using a UL or SUL.

--

But about 10mph tricking becomes increasingly more problematic ... with some kites prone to "powering up" resulting in excessive speed or pull.

Of course that varies from kite to kite, the SuperFly is great in 12mph - the BMK Exile is bit of a handful.

And much above 15mph its really not worth the effort - not for me anyways.

-Frazer

I think the quality of the wind sums it up perfectly and the big gust that traashed the kite is a perfect example of that.

Even though I had been flying in higher wind speeds with gusts up to 18mph that had not hit me at such a critical time, still it's all learning and experiance for me.

Harvey1

Wed May 04, 2016 10:34 pm

Yup definitely quality of wind, but also choice of fields, e.I. shadows, flow contours that sorta stuff all causes bad flying conditions, I've got a field( a farmer's field) that when I fly there I'm high!!! The wind is so sweet it's like a drug to my system, I need more!!!!! But the farmer hates me with vengeance so I tend not to go there after he started taking shots at my kite with a shot gun.
But I still think of that field lovingly, coz it was bliss for an inland wind heaven

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk