Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Floater
Topic Author

Noob guidance please

Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi All

I wondered if you could give me some pointers re flying with Maestro II, I have just got one for half price new and it seemed a good deal at the time, haha.
My flying time is about 80 mins in total I can do some of the basics to landing soft on the tips and a tip stand, that's with my Tramontana. I tried the Maestro in winds around 10-25 and found it a real handful, one minute it would like wrist input and the next whole arm would not be enough, wind would pull me quite hard at times so I had to move forward and at other times the kite would float to the ground.

Are there any mods to get this into a full on trick kite or do I need a better more responsive kite, ability not withstanding as that will come.

Any pointers would be great thanks.

Sean
Brookite Typhoon, HQ Tramontana retro, HQ Maestro II PAW/ Steve C modded, Monster, Benson Deep Space custom.

Some of the gear, no idea.

SteveC

Re: Noob guidance please

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:52 am

Hi there,

I have a Maestro II which I use a lot and it's a pretty decent kite for the money. It can pull quite hard, I generally use mine in 8-15 mph range, after that it really starts to pull. Assuming the bridle and lines are equal I'd try adjusting the uphaul line as it can be a bit sensitive to that setting and sometimes does some weird things if you have it set wrong.

You can modify the kite pretty easily to make it a much better trick kite, the mods were put together by a guy who no longer posts here, there were instruction online but they've been taken down however I have a copy so if you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy. Basically moving the upper spreader & standoffs, shortening the lower spreaders and retying the bridle - it does make a big difference over standard.

This is the modded kite in action.

phpBB [video]
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Floater
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:17 pm

Hi Steve, Thanks for the response, I saw that video and a half price new Maestro II opportunity and had to give it a go. Wind on the coast is a bit crazy but the kite is acting crazier, ATM

I have sent a PM as I want to have a good trick first trick kite if that makes sense.

Also considering Deep space, Superfly, Widow maker if I can find one, Black pearl and Nirvana.

Any thoughts?

Sean
Brookite Typhoon, HQ Tramontana retro, HQ Maestro II PAW/ Steve C modded, Monster, Benson Deep Space custom.

SteveC

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:23 pm

All good kites each with their own particular flying style. If you possibly can I'd say try before you buy as, from experience, it's often a case of finding a kite that suits the way you fly and that may not be the one that others are flying. I'd love a bag full of Bensons and I've owned a few but I can't fly them for toffee! nothing wrong with the kites, but they just don't suit the way I fly.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Floater
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:39 pm

SteveC wrote:
All good kites each with their own particular flying style. If you possibly can I'd say try before you buy as, from experience, it's often a case of finding a kite that suits the way you fly and that may not be the one that others are flying. I'd love a bag full of Bensons and I've owned a few but I can't fly them for toffee! nothing wrong with the kites, but they just don't suit the way I fly.

I live in Cornwall, it's a bit far from any kite shops and I have never seen a serious kite flyer here although I have 3 sites to fly at 2 miles away.

I have just had a good look at the bridle and it seems a blind drunk must have put it together on a Sunday morning, I had to retie the top part of the bridle it was adjusted to the wrong lengths for bridle adjustment points and the adjustment points were different on each side and attached at different points and the mid point was different from top to bottom on either side, no wonder it was a pig to fly, let alone the wind conditions.

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:25 pm

Floater wrote:
I live in Cornwall

If you ever venture further down the coast, I have DS, DS UL, SF and other kites that you could try out.
Drop me a PM if/when you're down Newquay way...
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

Floater
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:33 pm

misterbleepy wrote:
Floater wrote:
I live in Cornwall

If you ever venture further down the coast, I have DS, DS UL, SF and other kites that you could try out.

Keith thats a brilliant offer and very brave, thanks.

Sean

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:09 pm

Floater wrote:
misterbleepy wrote:
Floater wrote:
I live in Cornwall

Sean

As long as the wind isn't too strong that is ;-) (though I do have a vented kite too)
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

Floater
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:12 pm

misterbleepy wrote:
Floater wrote:
misterbleepy wrote:
Floater wrote:
I live in Cornwall

Sean

As long as the wind isn't too strong that is ;-) (though I do have a vented kite too)

Ha-ha, I will get a modicum of skill first at least capable of yo-yo's.

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Similarly, if you come North a bit... I fly on Saunton Sands a couple of times a week. Loads of stuff to have a play with.

Bryan

Floater
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:52 pm

bryan beasley wrote:
Similarly, if you come North a bit... I fly on Saunton Sands a couple of times a week. Loads of stuff to have a play with.

Bryan

That's great too I can fly anytime so, I will get some ability and drop you a pm.
Thanks

Sean

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:19 pm

Taking off and landing is enough skill to fly any of my kites ;-)
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

Floater
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:36 pm

misterbleepy wrote:
Taking off and landing is enough skill to fly any of my kites ;-)

That's very generous Keith, I will be in touch shortly, I have a Photographic exhibition running in Bude for 3 weeks and as soon as thats over I will get in touch.

Thanks

Sean