Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

SkyRags
Topic Author

Fading the Fly

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:58 pm

For some reason - I am finding it difficult to get into a Fade on the SuperFly...

I flare the kite but when I pull for the fade it just wont 'lock' in...

I do feel a lot of resistance when I pull for the fade as opposed to my other kites where there is virtually no resistance...so the kite either wants to fly downwards or easily bounces out if I do get the kite to enter the fade

Any tips?
In the bag : KaoS Kites; Charisma, Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL

tspdk

Re: Fading the Fly

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:27 am

I tried the fade and it is hard to keep but it is possible.

I found out that you have to "work" more with the lines to keep it in the fade.

Try to go from axel to fade then I found it easier to keep it in fade. From flare to fade it is a bit harder.
Best Regards
Thomas

jaydub

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:18 pm

I find the SF more stable in the fade than many other kites of a similar size.

I tend to enter the fade from a fractured axel to a fade, but don't believe I have had much of a problem doing a flare to fade.

Take some speed out of the dive down by taking a step forwards, hit the pull back to the fade less hard and then give more slack and wait for the nose to come round.

I spent a long time bouncing fades off the lines before realising how important the slack is.

The SF is very much a pop and slack kite and will require different inputs from your other kites. In the short term, you may feel like your taking a step backwards flying it, however the long term rewards are there.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:39 pm

jaydub wrote:
I find the SF more stable in the fade than many other kites of a similar size.

This.

Just sounds like more practice is in order.

honchoboy

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Though no direct experience on the Superfly (however one should be in my hands in a matter if weeks!) the best bit of advice I was ever given when struggling with the fade was to think along the lines of how you would catch a waterbomb - you have got to be gentle and don't let it be caught hard if you get my drift. Also for some reason can't explain if you miss it first time just turn it into a flic flac and chances are you catch it neatly in the second attempt. Having your fingers on the line will let you know whether the kite then wants small tension or slack dependin on what it is doing. Hope this helps somewhat.

Ian
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18

SkyRags
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:09 am

Still finding the fade tough on the Fly - both from flares and axels...the trade off however is only positive, because I'm understanding the SuperFly more and more :)

Infinitive

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Don't fret, understanding the fade uses many skills - smooth slack-giving to "dampen" entry; then precise and pre-emptive footwork; with experience you'll have the observational skills; to rapidly response to minor changes in kite attitude; the little jiggles and twitches to correct tipping; knowing how the kite responds when high or low in the window to all the above. There is quite a lot to learn and it doesn't happen overnight. Nor, unfortunately, can it be expressed or taught particularly well on an internet forum :|
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:37 am

I borrowed a Superfly on the weekend and had no problems getting into the fade. It does have a tendency to drop the nose and fly out if you don't maintain good line control, but that is to be expected on a kite that is set up to sit deep in a turtle ("heavy" nose).

It's not designed to be a "sit there and do nothing" kite, so fades aren't going to last long between all those other tricks it will do
Kevin Sanders

Willunga
South Australia

SkyRags
Topic Author

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:32 am

I think I'm really beginning to understand the fade dynamics properly - that and popping the Fly works better

The wind today was also so clean and constant - my fades just held in the sky like I qas holding a single line kite or simply climbed higher and higher

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:24 am

Infinitive wrote:
Don't fret, understanding the fade uses many skills - smooth slack-giving to "dampen" entry; then precise and pre-emptive footwork; with experience you'll have the observational skills; to rapidly response to minor changes in kite attitude; the little jiggles and twitches to correct tipping; knowing how the kite responds when high or low in the window to all the above..... :|

...and if the kite is still recalcitrant,you can take take a few grammes out of the nose: replace the US,shave the fittings
(no,in the dozen or so times I had the xTz in the air ,I never held a fade on it :mrgreen: )

KaoS wrote:
It's not designed to be a "sit there and do nothing" kite, so fades aren't going to last long between all those other tricks it will do

"Optimised for slick transitions" 8) ..though that does sound like estate-agent speak for "inherently unstable"

SkyRags wrote:
The wind today was also so clean and constant - my fades just held in the sky like I was holding a single line kite or simply climbed higher and higher

Yea,tis a lovely feeling when that happens. On Saturday my X-masque climbed slowly a bit and floated majestically for ever...well, maybe twenty seconds :biggrin:

Andy55

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:46 am

Re living an old post. I have been learning the fade on my new Benson Deep Space standard and UL. I don’t seem to have a problem the UL holding fades for a while, both off the ground and diving into a fade, however I am struggling with the Standard. I do wonder whether it may need an extra few grams on the tail, or is it my technique, flying in slightly stronger wind, not getting enough slack in the line at the last minute. It is definitely not as easy to hold on the standard, the nose drops easily and it flies out of the fade

711jrp

Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:54 am

Try walking forward as you tend it
Pete
Fivers are alive
50% of the dognappers

Andy55

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:50 pm

711jrp wrote:
Try walking forward as you tend it

Thanks, will try that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ashbridge

Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:51 am

Andy55 wrote:
Re living an old post. I have been learning the fade on my new Benson Deep Space standard and UL. I don’t seem to have a problem the UL holding fades for a while, both off the ground and diving into a fade, however I am struggling with the Standard. I do wonder whether it may need an extra few grams on the tail, or is it my technique, flying in slightly stronger wind, not getting enough slack in the line at the last minute. It is definitely not as easy to hold on the standard, the nose drops easily and it flies out of the fade

When I was learning the fade, I had the exact opposite difficulty of you:  the heavier nose of the standard felt more 'natural' while the lighter UL nose seemed too 'flimsy' to control properly.  It's just persistence and time on the lines.  You'll get it.  After you've flow the DS for long enough, the damn thing almost fades itself.  

Andy55

Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:12 pm

I did wonder that, not to upset about things as they are, need more practice I think