Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

SkyRags
Topic Author

Strap recommendations

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:52 am

I think I'll be purchasing a Super-Fly soon....but Im a little confused on a choice of straps...Although I have my own set of lines (dyneema Im sure of...) and a pair of basic nylon straps, Tim Benson has a few different types of straps on the site (finger, wrist etc)..

I wanted to know what people here preferred or what was better...I might as well buy some new lines and straps.
In the bag : KaoS Kites; Charisma, Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL

KaoS
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Strap recommendations

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:35 am

Straps a VERY much a personal preference.

Me, I hate finger straps, convertible straps, etc. with a passion. And I'm not too keen on Prism style with the origami fold where the line attachment loop is. Now don't get me started on ones with multiple "adjustment knots" i.e. a flappy bit of line to catch your flying line during slack line moves, and instantly alter one flying line length a random amount - oops, I started...

It depends on how you like to hold the strap. I prefer to anchor it with my middle two fingers (see attachment) , BUT I don't like the fingers to be 1. in their own seperate tunnel or 2. restricted to a particular tunnel or loop size. And sometimes I'll put three fingers in the loop, it depends on how I feel at the time. If the wind is hauling, I'll even revert to using it over the wrist. So I just use a standard wrist strap, usually with a triangular ring - really versatile.

The quality of the strap webbing is another matter. Soft feel, but firm enough so stays flat. You can get REALLY nice webbing from saddlers, they use it to make halters.

And construction... no hot cut edges sticking up to catch and trap flying lines.

I guess that's why I make my own (NOT the one in the photo) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sanders

Willunga
South Australia

Zippy8

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:23 am

SkyRags wrote:
I wanted to know what people here preferred or what was better...

Buy one of each for the princely sum of a tenner and make your own mind up. Or, like me, completely fail to make your mind up and dither back and forth between both.

Mike.

Yan

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:43 am

I have tried all sorts, these are the most comfortable finger straps I've come across.

http://bensonkites.com/shop/accessories.html

SkyRags
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:27 am

KaoS wrote:
It depends on how you like to hold the strap.

I guess I'm only used to the straps you supplied me Kevin...I dont know any different :)

Zippy8 wrote:
Buy one of each for the princely sum of a tenner and make your own mind up. Or, like me, completely fail to make your mind up and dither back and forth between both

If Im gonna buy a SF...I might as well buy straps from Bensons to combine shipping...I guess $13.50 could be considered a kingly sum if I buy both knuckle dusters and wrist straps :P
In the bag : KaoS Kites; Charisma, Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL

jaydub

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:59 am

SkyRags wrote:
If Im gonna buy a SF...I might as well buy straps from Bensons to combine shipping...I guess $13.50 could be considered a kingly sum if I buy both knuckle dusters and wrist straps :P

A great combination of high quality materials combined with Tim's attention to detail, means you won't go far wrong with any of Tim's straps. Which design you prefer comes down to personal choice.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:27 am

The FA store carry JoE finger and trick straps - and they're excellent quality.

http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/shop/index.p ... oductId=74

-Frazer

sluggo

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:46 am

I use both the JoE and Benson knuckle-duster straps. Not sure which ones I prefer. Both are very comfortable. The JoE straps are softer and fit my fingers just a bit more snugly than the Bensons.

StuartB

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:28 am

I've used nothing else since I bought a pair of JoE straps. Still a crap flyer but a comfortable one. I put my last two or three fingers through the strap and grip with my thumb and forefinger. I don't know how others use them.