Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

stephanh
Topic Author

Best kite for trick learning

Fri May 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Hey all,
Having read a few reviews on KiteClique I'm curious to get some opinions about which kite is best for trick learning. Boutique kites of course. No mass produced kite.

So here is the question. What's the best, most forgiving, will make you look good, all around kite for freestyle flying?

Thanks
Stef

Infinitive

Re: Best kite for trick learning

Fri May 24, 2013 2:14 pm

I think it is still the Benson Deep Space.

But forget looking good. I was flying the other day when a haughty arse came up and said
"you'd be having a much better time of it, if you were further from the trees."
... "what trees?"
"those ones."
... "they are four hundred meters upwind and I can't get any further away from them. the wind is fine here."
"look mate, I've been sailing for 25 years, those trees are why you can't fly your kite".
"can't fly my kite?" (is flying figure-eights without looking at the kite)
"it's all over the place, because of the trees."
... "oh I see - those are tricks."
"look mate, I've been sailing for 25 years..."
"whatever."

freestyle kiting looks bad to everyone but a freestyle kiter!
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

kareloh

Fri May 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Hahaha!

ObijuanKenobe

Fri May 24, 2013 2:37 pm

It is impressive how much you need to 'dumb' down the flying for non-fliers to be able to appreciate what is going on.

The last time this happened to me, I was being instructed by someone who did not see I had earbuds in. After I finally noticed him, I pulled them out and said hello and kept flying.

The response I heard behind me after about a minute was, "Oh shit, you are doing all that on purpose. Cool, man."

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

stephanh
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Funny stories. :)

I own a Deep Space so I should be all set.

I was interested in getting an NSE. Birthday soon, so looking for suggestions. ;)

How does the NSE compare to the Deep Space? Can someone benefit from owning both?

Thanks
Stef

jaydub

Fri May 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Infinitive wrote:
I think it is still the Benson Deep Space.

But forget looking good. I was flying the other day when a haughty arse came up and said
"you'd be having a much better time of it, if you were further from the trees."
... "what trees?"
"those ones."
... "they are four hundred meters upwind and I can't get any further away from them. the wind is fine here."
"look mate, I've been sailing for 25 years, those trees are why you can't fly your kite".
"can't fly my kite?" (is flying figure-eights without looking at the kite)
"it's all over the place, because of the trees."
"whatever."

Sounds just like a guy I have the pleasure of working with. Rather worryingly he sails and lives in the Bristol area. Mmmmmm. ;)

More seriously, a Deep Space or a Talon would make a very good choice, as both are relatively well behaved and potentially available second hand at a reasonable(ish) price.

Infinitive

Fri May 24, 2013 8:02 pm

stephanh wrote:
How does the NSE compare to the Deep Space? Can someone benefit from owning both?

Only in that you might enjoy both kites. If you already own a DS and an NSE, stop worrying about the kite - it's about you :cool:
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:23 am

stephanh wrote:
I was interested in getting an NSE. Birthday soon, so looking for suggestions. ;)

I tried this and nearly went insane. They are too different and you will just hold yourself back by alternating. Better addition to the DS would be a DS ultralight or DS Vented depending on if you struggle for wind or thy cup runeth over with wind. Always best to stick to one kite, but if you want some variety I hear there's a kite called a Superfly that is a bit tasty.
Jason.

Davey

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Infinitive wrote:
"whatever."

...I do still have one of the FA 'This is intentional, you should be impressed' tee-shirts from a few years ago... really should don it next time I get out - just in case (although the word 'intentional' may be a stretch for me at present).
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

fourmatic

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:35 am

dragonfly wrote:
stephanh wrote:
So here is the question. What's the best, most forgiving, will make you look good, all around kite for freestyle flying?

Any on the Clique. My personal favourite is the Magnet - very forgiving - and the Deep Space looks good by itself. :)

yep. any..Polyvalent with bigger wingspan will help a lot at the beginning..If you already mastered some basic then go to a smaller freestyle kites.Short inputs and fast reaction is reguired.

I was thinking about the Magnet..but he is a little bit agressive.Not for a newbie.

fourmatic

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:42 pm

JJF not STD..UL maebe..but still thinking that something bigger is the best..
I remember Genesis from L1..very easy to fly.
or Gentelman(havent flown, but very precise in tricks on video)

DD

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:56 am

+1 on a ds ul or vent. I have the full ds line and a nse. To cross over into a car speak; the ds is like driving an automatic, the nse is like driving a stick. Both can be driven well but require a slight different skill set.