Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

SkyRags

Re: No tricks for now until I understand...

Fri May 03, 2013 4:12 am

Hi Ara

I just got out yesterday to fly after a few weeks waiting for a copy of Prisms Advanced to fly

Whilst the format/tricks are probably quite outdated...I've been trying hard to practice side slides and although I appreciate all the recent material out there that's helped me learn better the segment on sliding in the video really helped me understand the mechanics of the slide and therefore my movements- not just the trick

This perception is really helping in regards to the article Conceptual Kiting on the Prism site - how you and the kite fly together - as such I really love the science/feel part of kite flying

I still cannot pull off a full slide - but now I understand the way the kite responds better- which helps me understand what I need to do better to accomplish what I hope will be a side slide
In the bag : KaoS Kites; Charisma, Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL

uktotty

Wed May 08, 2013 11:24 pm

I need to learn that Axel, then I am all yours with advice and science :)
Benson DS - Fury Full Size - Rev 1.5SUL - Rev 1.5 SLE - Alpha Plus - Cody - 3 Symphony's - 2 NPW's - Viper - Vento - Wild Thang - Flexifoils - Elliot Mystic

ObijuanKenobe

Sat May 18, 2013 6:32 am

The slack line flying advice is the best in the thread. That's it in a nut shell.

Pulling does a fraction of what slacking does.

A small pop tug coupled with 1m of slack will get you most of what we call tricks around here, plus or minus a bit.

In fact, most of what you see posted around here can be done without much pulling...but NONE OF IT can be done without slacking lines properly.

Watch the best, and they move forward and back QUICK when the wind is actually blowing. Chris Goff is leaning, reaching, and sprinting a step forward when he flies...and that is just part of the reason why he can do what no one else can. Only in lower winds can a master flier remain in one spot.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Ara Ararauna
Topic Author

Sat May 18, 2013 7:34 pm

Right, thanks all for the comments and I apologise for having been in silence for so long.

Yes, I am discovering I cannot try to be scientific about the pulling/slacking. It's just a matter of patience and practise.

I have also seen how Goff flies and I should really start from scratch ;) :lol:

On the other hand I am making progress. You can see it here:
(although maybe some of you have already seen it at "the other place")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5I2DGj6Peg

Cheers!

P.S. For those who don't wish to go through the ~7min video of all my stubborn attempts at getting the fade you can go directly to the more or less successful tricks at the following times:
Slots: 00:06, 3:18, 3:28, 5:05, 6:06,
540's: 00:49 (3 in a row), 5:56,
Crummy Half-axel cascade: 6:11
Fades: 1:52, 2:20, 3:55, 4:15, 4:35, 4:50, 5:30, 5:47, 6:20, 6:55, 7:13
Barrel Rolls/Backspins: 3:58, 4:38, 5:32,
FlickFlacs: 4:52, 6:57, (7:15)
Lazy Susan: 2:25
In my bag...
Duals: No-name (No-brand), Nexus (Prism), Talon UL (JoE), Soul (Flying Wings), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura 4.7Oz (Sky Burner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)