Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

SkyRags
Topic Author

Side Slide help

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Ok Snap Stall aside...getting slowly better I guess :doubt:

I can do EZ PZ Axels, flapjacks, backflips, yo-yos ( no Fade yet...soon though soon.. :roll: )

But for the LIFE of me...I cant get a slide to work :evil:

Im wondering if my lines are short or something - I dont think Im getting enough speed/momentum up to carry through??? :?

What I find is my kite stalls but doesnt move across at all or begins to float up

Any tips??

Ive read somewhere an adjustment to the bridle helps...towards the nose or away though?
In the bag : KaoS Kites; Charisma, Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Side Slide help

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:30 am

ok, fly towards the edge of the window, when you get close to the edge pull both arms back behind you quickly so that you accelerate past the edge almost. then at the last moment turn down and under. So you go from flying towards 3 o'clock, then just past the edge turn down, past 6, past 9 and towards 12 o'clock. To do this all the tension is on the right hand line. As you get towards 10 or 11 o'clock position, transfer the tension to the left hand line to start pulling the kite back towards the centre of the window. The fact you went almost past the edge plus the tight spin will give it enough momentum to get sliding.

Tip, once the tension is on the left hand, hold this hand against your hip and make any + or - adjustments with the other hand. you want the leading hand of the slide to have tension but very little variance. You steer it with the trailing hand.

Good luck.
Jason.

SkyRags
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:23 am

Jason wrote:
ok, fly towards the edge of the window, when you get close to the edge pull both arms back behind you quickly so that you accelerate past the edge almost. then at the last moment turn down and under. So you go from flying towards 3 o'clock, then just past the edge turn down, past 6, past 9 and towards 12 o'clock. To do this all the tension is on the right hand line. As you get towards 10 or 11 o'clock position, transfer the tension to the left hand line to start pulling the kite back towards the centre of the window. The fact you went almost past the edge plus the tight spin will give it enough momentum to get sliding.

Tip, once the tension is on the left hand, hold this hand against your hip and make any + or - adjustments with the other hand. you want the leading hand of the slide to have tension but very little variance. You steer it with the trailing hand.

Good luck.

Cheers- ill try this next time ;)

Funny thing is in the beginning of your explanation you mention "acceleration", which makes me think this is the root of my problem

Ara Ararauna

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Jason wrote:

Good luck.

Excellent! I thank you very much too.
I'll also try it next time.
Cheers
In my bag...
Duals: No-name (No-brand), Nexus (Prism), Talon UL (JoE), Soul (Flying Wings), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura 4.7Oz (Sky Burner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)

SkyRags
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 pm

Jason wrote:

Good luck.

Just to clarify-

How high in the window is this performed? Or is this irrelevant?

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:10 am

It's low. So fly from side to side doing a ground pass, maybe 1 kite width above the ground so your kite is at eye level.
Jason.

SkyRags
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:44 am

Ok - this was a while ago...but I thought I'd share my experiences with this trick because I really love seeing this trick and trying to perform it and if anyone else is learning this trick I hope this helps (although I know the majority here can easily do the slide :))

There's just something about the way the kite moves - it seems to defy physics somewhat...anyways

My best results on this have come from using one of my new kites

Jest of Eve Talon UL with a wind strength is 10km-9km

I was able to perform the slide by understanding something regarding the kites flight

As I turned the kite to perform the slide - I realised that there is also centrifugal forces involved when the kite spins around what ever line I am tensioning at the time to perform the turn

Taking this into account - i found it was better to release much earlier than I anticipated letting the momentum of the kites turn to allow it to 'shoot' sideways.

Much the same as letting go of a bucket of water if I was to windmill my arm or pitching underarm in softball

Then taking the above advice into account (locking the other arm into position) I was able to control the kite with movements of the same hand

Was great to see the kite slide sideways....still great to watch