Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

SkyRags
Topic Author

Bouncing on the lines

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:03 am

Ok- a problem I'm constantly running into is the kite bouncing on a line after a backflip- how can I counteract this more effectively?
This also happens when I attempt a fade
In the bag : KaoS Kites; Charisma, Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Bouncing on the lines

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:24 am

In a fade it is quite normal for the kite to be oscillating up and down and its up to you to manage the lines constantly to keep the fade. The wind will also be a major factor in how much oscillation you encounter.

The back flip is another matter.There should be no oscillation. Do you mean that the kite is bouncing when your in the turtle position. This I dont get because once in the turtle you should have only the lightest tension in the lines so you can guide the kite as it floats down. A well balanced kite should just sit there gently floating back with little or no input from the pilot. What kite are you using.
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

SkyRags
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:19 am

Hawkerhunter wrote:
In a fade it is quite normal for the kite to be oscillating up and down and its up to you to manage the lines constantly to keep the fade. The wind will also be a major factor in how much oscillation you encounter.

The back flip is another matter.There should be no oscillation. Do you mean that the kite is bouncing when your in the turtle position. This I dont get because once in the turtle you should have only the lightest tension in the lines so you can guide the kite as it floats down. A well balanced kite should just sit there gently floating back with little or no input from the pilot. What kite are you using.

I'm using a Charisma from GombergKites...although learning tension is something I'm still trying to get good at:) personally I don't think it's the kites issue- but mine...it's a new kite to me so I'm still understanding it's nuances :)

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Ummmmm!!! Dont know how long youve been flying.

The back flip is a very easy trick and one of the first you will learn to do. If you want to keep the kite on its back once you have flipped it and if the kite behaves all you should need to do is learn a little line sensitivity to guide the kite once its on its back.

The fade is a far more advanced trick. It requires alot of skill to hold the fade because you are constantly having to make adjustments to your line tension. The fade normally comes a bit further into your learning curve once youve mastered stalls etc.
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

SkyRags
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Hawkerhunter wrote:
Ummmmm!!! Dont know how long youve been flying.

The back flip is a very easy trick and one of the first you will learn to do. If you want to keep the kite on its back once you have flipped it and if the kite behaves all you should need to do is learn a little line sensitivity to guide the kite once its on its back.

The fade is a far more advanced trick. It requires alot of skill to hold the fade because you are constantly having to make adjustments to your line tension. The fade normally comes a bit further into your learning curve once youve mastered stalls etc.

I'm a noob at flying- Ive only been flying for a about a month and only just received a decent kite about a week ago

I've just received some teaching vids from Kevin Sanders- so ill be checking them out and getting back into the sky to practice on my line sensitivity :)

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:56 pm

The guys around here will help you all they can. Make sure you start at the beginning. Get to know your kite and master the stall. Practice flying to each side of the wind window and then landing. Take off and fly to the other side and land again. Before you know it youll be moving onto some tricks. If you rush in you may end up with some expensive kite repairs.
Steve

In the bag