Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

SkyRags
Topic Author

Re: The Snap Stall

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:06 am

MartinG wrote:
Those of us starting out without the benefit of a coach tend to rely on the Dodd Gross Flight School DVD to try to understand tricks. In the video Dodd says "The axle is your first slack line trick. If you can snap stall you can axle. If you can't execute good snap stalls, don't move on to this lesson", so one can become a bit obsessed with trying to perfect it; replaying the video over and over again to see what the kite and hands are doing means the soundtrack works its way into your subconscious like a mantra! If only there were more than half a dozen people interested someone could make an updated video to reflect what can be done with modern kites - I'd buy "Craig's comete in a day" or the equivalent. Probably still wouldn't be able to do many tricks, mind you.

This is ALL helpful as far as I'm concerned...

What I AM discovering more and more is the types of wind strength...I'm trying to go out as much as I can so the wind is generally different each time- I was practicing g the snap stall using the push technique and trying the side slide too....I think one of the most basic things I've been learning is arm and hand position whilst watching the kite...it reminds me when I first tried to drive a car...my mind was focusing on a lot of things at once...but after a while I stopped wondering where my hands were on the wheel and moved my eyes ahead of me instead of directly in the front of the car...
In the bag : KaoS Kites; Charisma, Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL

RoyReed

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Whatever kite you're flying (new or old style) it can't help but increase your control over the kite to be able to do any trick - snap stall included.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

SkyRags
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:22 pm

RoyReed wrote:
Whatever kite you're flying (new or old style) it can't help but increase your control over the kite to be able to do any trick - snap stall included.

Cheers Roy

Im very new to kiting...but Im really enjoying it....I simply want to learn the Snap for the sake of it for sure

I was in the park the other day flying around and ended up getting neighbourhood kids out flying their kites with me after they were watching for a bit...even a former Kite Buggy Dad came out and started flying a power foil around

RoyReed

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:33 am

It's also a nice trick to do when someone from the dark side tells you that you can't stop a two-line kite in the air. Happened to me at Dunstable a couple of years ago - <smug> I held the stall for longer than he could keep his Rev still </smug>. TBH he wasn't a very good 4-line flyer.

SkyRags wrote:
Im very new to kiting...but Im really enjoying it

And that's the only thing that matters.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

SkyRags
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:44 pm

RoyReed wrote:
It's also a nice trick to do when someone from the dark side tells you that you can't stop a two-line kite in the air. Happened to me at Dunstable a couple of years ago - <smug> I held the stall for longer than he could keep his Rev still </smug>. TBH he wasn't a very good 4-line flyer

Lol...seems a strange assumption....aren't Revs younger than Stunt kites?

Ara Ararauna

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:04 pm

SteveC wrote:
You've obviously found the videos on the Prism site, have you seen the trick animations? These show the the hand movements for various tricks that you might find helpful.

http://www.prismkites.com/lounge-training.php

If you want a copy of a very good kite flying E book PM me your email off forum and I'll send you a copy.

Hi,
Despite not having to do snap stalls nowadays, I decided to take a look at this video animation (which I had already looked at about 8 months ago).

Am I understanding this wrong or is the movement of the hands swapped from what it should be?

Please experts, confirm or correct me please.
As the animation goes, with the kite going from right to left, the correct push turn to make the kite point up would be to push the bottom wing, that is the left hand in this situation.
But the hand in the animation first push the right hand, which would be the top wing in a right-left flying trajectory.
For me that's swapped, but pleas ecorrect me if I'm not getting the correct story... :?
Thanks.
In my bag...
Duals: No-name (No-brand), Nexus (Prism), Talon UL (JoE), Soul (Flying Wings), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura 4.7Oz (Sky Burner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)

SkyRags
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:38 am

My Charisma arrived from Kevin this morning...already I can see the blatant differences between my $20 budget kite and this one

Looking forward to practice on something more suitable

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:44 am

Ara Ararauna wrote:
Am I understanding this wrong or is the movement of the hands swapped from what it should be?

Please experts, confirm or correct me please.
As the animation goes, with the kite going from right to left, the correct push turn to make the kite point up would be to push the bottom wing, that is the left hand in this situation.
But the hand in the animation first push the right hand, which would be the top wing in a right-left flying trajectory.
For me that's swapped, but please correct me if I'm not getting the correct story... :?
Thanks.

It is correct, but it all happens very very quickly.

Whats happening is a quick snap (right hand, forward/back very quickly) followed by the left hand forward to help dump the air from the sail, that puts the kite into an upward stalled position.

Different kites need differing amount of snap, this is not a one size fits all maneuver.

jaydub

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:49 pm

Craig wrote:
Different kites need differing amount of snap, this is not a one size fits all maneuver.

For modern kites, it tends to be about speed rather than magnitude. Think of it as a fast drum beat.

Tried to learn the snap stall off Flight school and Dodd's movements are slower and more deliberate and this just didn't work for me.

SkyRags
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:31 pm

jaydub wrote:
Craig wrote:

For modern kites, it tends to be about speed rather than magnitude. Think of it as a fast drum beat.

Tried to learn the snap stall off Flight school and Dodd's movements are slower and more deliberate and this just didn't work for me.

When practicing on my budget kite (which I termed the Angry Wasp due to the buzzing it made at speed) I now and again got it- with a fast and very small snap, but my Charisma feels sooo different in handling

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:55 am

Best to stick to one kite when trying to learn things. Swapping from kite to kite just makes things take forever.
Jason.

SkyRags
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:28 pm

Jason wrote:
Best to stick to one kite when trying to learn things. Swapping from kite to kite just makes things take forever.

Yeah, I know what you mean...

I'm sticking learning to the Charisma...the movements are more gradual and the kite is larger so it's letting me see and feel what's going on a LOT better- I'm still practicing the Snap Stall but also trying the Axel and Side Slide

Getting better at Backflips and Flaring the kite too

SkyRags
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:43 am

GAAHHH!

I cannot get this move down pat- I did it about once or twice over 30 times - the kite made a kind of clap sound when I did

It's pretty tough

Most of the time the kite ends up dying in the air

SkyRags
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:29 am

Ok

With my better kite in recovery at the moment (waiting for a couple parts)

I took my "warping wasp' out...

I was getting desperate for a flight!

Through this kite though, I think Ive begun to understand how the kite 'speaks' to me when Im trying this move...helping me understand whats going on when I do the movements

When I pull the upper wing whilst its flying across the window...it of course angles the kite for a turn and the upper wing moves towards me whilst the lower wing moves away

As the kite is turning upwards, the second 'harder' snap is required to pull the lower wing neutral with the upper wing (now both at level)

Slack is given to maintain a stall

Of course, this is all old news and basic stuff to you resident pro's :)

To me however it is a revelation :roll: ...and I cant wait to work the dynamics on my better kite once it gets a new spreader and wingtip nock