Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

SteveC
Topic Author

Kitehouse Pulsar 540/Slot help needed

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:49 pm

I've had a few weeks flying my recently acquired Kitehouse Pulsar and I'm really enjoying it! :-) Fantastic kite which is now letting me do tricks I could only dream of before - I was always crap at yoyo's but this thing is a yoyo monster! singles, doubles and Waps are sooo easy. The only downside I've found is 540's and slot's which tip wrap nearly every time. Bryan Beasley highlighted this in his excellent review but it's really starting to bug me. On my other kites I can hit both 60-70% of the time but with the Pulsar I'm barely getting 1 in 20 :-(. I've tried 540's with the nose up, almost horizontal and everywhere in between but I hardly ever get a clean rotation - yes I'm giving plenty of slack). Is this a general Kitehouse 'thing' or something peculier to the Pulsar?

I have changed the bridle to a 3 point - I couldn't do a thing with turbo it came with. The new bridle is basically the same as a JOE Talon ( both kites are the same size and when you look at the length of spars and placement of fittings they are almost identical so it seemed like a good starting point and as luck would have it, worked first time) I don't think the new bridle is causing the problem, all other tricks ( that I can do) are fine. I was thinking about a set of leaders to let the lines drop a little. Or is it just a matter of practise?

Any tips or suggestions would be most welcome.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: Kitehouse Pulsar 540/Slot help needed

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:59 am

It's just a matter of practice, seriously if your tip wrapping you're not giving enough slack!

jaydub

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Not flown a Pulsar, but suspect it's one of those kites that doesn't like the slot being set up too flat. Experiment with a smaller pop to set it up for the rotation.

I'm sure Bryan will be able to provide more Pulsar specific advice.

harveystubbs

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 pm

A 100 KG line leader helps but there isn't any substitute for good old fashioned slack. Also helps getting that flare uneven with those higher aspect ratio kites helps a lot. Sorry if I am teaching granny to suck eggs ! :cool:

pink

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:57 pm

how long????
Prism Nexus, Chris Matheson - Midi Sandpiper, DIY Le Quartz, R-Sky Diablis, DIY Pink S.U.L
CIM - Fireman, DIY SunDog Fighter

http://pinkfloodesign.com/

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:59 pm

Yeah... don't let it go quite so flat and don't lose contact with the kite with the rotating hand - sweep and then throw everything at it. It's cos it's so pitchy, by the time you've thought about it, it's pitched past where it needs to be to spin without snagging.

Bryan

harveystubbs

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Pink - I reckon 6-10 ft for leaders but it won't 540 itself.

Bryan - I also need some coaching dude, when you up in Hinckley next? :cool:

SteveC
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:48 pm

Thanks for all the replies folks, I guess I'll just have to keep plugging away at it and throw in a load more slack. 540's aside, it's a great kite!

=D>
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,