Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

steveng
Topic Author

no stall or fade... jive II

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:58 pm

hello,
im as new to kiting as i am to this forum. not exactly but you probably understand my skill level by this :)

i recently bought me a HQ Jive II did not really buy it because of its specs, but because it was mentioned as a trick beginner's kite.

now i think i'm lacking some serious skill since i am not able to stall the kite or get it in a fade now i know these tricks are not the same at all but i just tried some stuff to see what happens :)
does the kite need ajustments or something, or do i need to continue to frustrate myself with practice wich does not show a bit of rewarding movements i want to see.

just to make clear: i do understand the concept practice makes perfect, and i am willing to invest time, but after spending 15 hours of kiting, and still not being able to even stall it isnt really good i guess?
bag: hq jive2/infinity

SteveC

Re: no stall or fade... jive II

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi there, welcome to the FA forum.

The Jive is a decent enough kite to learn on and can do most basic tricks out of the bag. It can also be ‘tuned’ to do more tricks once you have the basics down.

First question, what sort of wind speed are you trying to stall and fade in? Ideally 6-10mph is best for learning, once you get above this speed it get progressively harder to give the kite enough slack line without having to run.

The Snap Stall is the real keystone of trick flying, once you have mastered a good solid stall other tricks will be much easier to learn. Try reading these –

http://prismkites.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 1174937596

http://prismkites.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 1213810335

http://prismkites.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 1180053003

Once you have the stall down then you’ll be ready to try other tricks, the backflip or the Axel are good ones to start with. If you can try and meet up with other fliers, it makes learning much easier. If you can’t get to meet other try and get a good DVD – ‘Flight School’ by Dodd Gross is a good one if you can find it.

This will give you an idea of what the Jive can do with practise …it does take time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqOX33jnE4o

When you got your Jive there should have been a cylindrical metal weight about 14grms in a packet in the pocket with the line set. This goes on the ned of the spine in place of the piece of plastic you'll find there - this will help.
Last edited by SteveC on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Broady

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:56 pm

The Dodd gross dvd is in the library on this forum. It's a great dvd. I borrowed it from here and then ordered my own copy from the states for around £12 delivered.
Deep Space, HQ babytana, Chinese Rev copy & vented version
Indian Fighter kites

honchoboy

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:32 am

Hi Steveng. Welcome to the forum.

The Jive II is a great kite to sink your teeth into. I promise the kite can do the tricks your asking of it and the time spent practicing won't have been wasted.

I spent hours and hours trying to get it into a consistent fade when i started out. I remember thinking I'd nailed it and then the next weekend wouldn't be able to do it for toffee. Already mentioned by Steve but with practice - not just with the hands but really watching the kites positioning, and learning to adjust depending on the wind will get you there.

From what position are you trying to get the Jive into a fade?

I began whilst flying straight down..........sooooo my breakthrough moments (tips?) on the Jive II were when i realised that I just wasn't pushing both hands forward quick enough and then popping back. IMO It needs to go near enough flat before popping back and in stronger wind you will want to step/run forwards to get the slack- not be 'glided' into horizontal but quickly 'pushed' (for the hand motion pretend your cracking a whip, that kind of speed).

I also used to have some difficulty getting it to sit in the fade, it would bounce off. Again the lines needed more slack but at the same time just enough to catch it (and then keep adjusting the tension as needed to get it to stay there nicely)

And if it does bounce off just go straight into the flare/fade motion again, for some reason on the Jive It always seemed to sit perfect on the second attempt (plus you'll have pulled off a flicflac in between like you meant it ;)

But you will get it, your muscle memory will take over and then it'll be the next trick.
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18

steveng
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks tor the replies :)
I will try to find that dvd broady could be a geest help :D

To react on stevec:
It is really assuring to see that vid of a jive 2 going wild :D
I have put in the weight as you stated it would make the kite go a bit better.
Now to awnser the question about windspeed, according to weather reports and an app I use on my phone it was about 3bft, wich is the average speed for the kite (range = 2-5 bft according to a card supplied with the kite)
Could you tell me when to change the pigtail setting please, I read about low and high winds but failed to understand when the wind is low and when it is high...

Honchoboy, I tried to fade it the way you described, also I thought I had it, and it bounced off immediately wich as you stated is something the kite does so I just have to practice a lot.
Still I do not get a decent flare everytime, but I think (with a bit of physics) with the weight now in the tail it should go a bit better... I did not try that yet, but intent to do so this afternoon if the weather is up to it :)

As I am not from England, I have trouble to understand mph and pounds. I am very happy with the warm welcome and help I am offered this fast

Broady

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:13 am

Here is the link for the dvd from the library:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9445&start=45

Here is where I got my copy from:
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.p ... t&catId=15

It's out of stock at the minute :-(
Deep Space, HQ babytana, Chinese Rev copy & vented version
Indian Fighter kites

SteveC

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:19 am

Pigtail settings for wind.

If you look at the pigtail above the upper spreader you will see it has 3 knots. In 'normal' wind - about 10-20 km/h - the loop on the upper line of the bridle should be looped ( larkstail knot) above the middle knot.

If the wind gets stronger and starts to make the kite pull too hard - above 20km/h- move the loop DOWN to the bottom knot furthest away from the kite frame. This will make the nose of the kite tip back to let some of the wind pressure out of the sail and make it easier to fly.

If the wind drops and there is not enough to make the kite fly properly - below 10km/h - then move the loop UP from the middle knot position to the top knot closest to the frame. This will pull the nose of the kite forward to 'catch' more wind.

This shows the hand movement for the Snap stall which you might find helpful.

http://www.prismkites.com/lounge-training.php - scroll down the page and click on the picture for animation.

Not the Jive, but the adjustments are the same.

If you send me a PM message with your Email address I can send you a copy of a very good kite book that you might find helpful.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

steveng
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:16 am

Thanks for sending me the book, I briefly browsed through it and allready love the way its written :D
I like the prism animations aswell :) didn't try yet, but I think I can watch those on my phone so on site when needed :)
Been flying again yesterday, again a steady 3 bft wind.
I did notice some reaction changes with the tail weight attached. But again no stalls atleast not when even a bit out of the edge...
Noticed that my left bottom spreader attachment point shifts on the leading edge... The right one sits in place firmly. I'm going to try and get a new set of clamps to set it in place, or is there another possible problem I am overlooking?

Now waiting patiently for some 2 bft wind to finally nail a good stall and work my way up the ladder of tricks in the coming year(s).

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:02 pm

Are you moving your feet when you stall? If you are struggling to keep a stall, walk (or run) forward. I'm assuming that you can make a nice snappy 90 degree turn, so the next part is keeping it, which means some moving.

Sorry if I'm teaching you things you knew a long time ago.
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

steveng
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:14 pm

hey vee :)

i moved, but too little :)

i think the main problem was that i didnt see the stall intime, wich meant i didnt react on it...
stoll need alot of practice to do it smooth :)
i think i got it down for atleast the stall itself, now im focussing on keeping it.
its correct that the kite stays upright but kinda slides down towards the middle of the windwindow right?

oh and possible repeats of stuff i know is inevitable, and i am not bothered by repetition at all. i'd rather have some double info than none at all

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:49 am

With (yes, yet more) practice you can get it to stay exactly where it is, but sliding slightly down is an excellent start. It suggests you're giving just slightly too much slack, but balancing how much slack to give when and on what line is very hard, because it's very variable.
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

steveng
Topic Author

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:28 am

hehe practice, practice and more practice :) what a punishment... now i will need to fly even more hours XD ^^