Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Old Greebo
Topic Author

Re: URO-crash!

Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:55 am

... and now everything's gone belly-up!
DHS totally failed us, the parcel's being sent back to Volango. And guess what - I get my Euros back from Volango, but I lose two lots of currency exchange rate charges in the process!
So where else can I get 2.1mm fibreglass rod from?
Brian. (Past it, but reaching back!)
Silver Fox 2.5; HQ Shadow SUL; Rev 1.5 SLE; Spiderkites URO; Etc...

SteveC

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:55 am

If it's just 2mm fibreglass rod that you need ( i don't think the .1 would make much difference) then try an RC model car/helecopter shop as they usually stock 1m lengths of fibreglass and carbon fibre in 2mm. Also Gokites have 2mm gf on ebay.

Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

sstrangey

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:01 pm

hi if you didnt have bad luck you would have no luck at all i would try gokites or the highwayman both in england or the pegasus kite and buggy store or drachennest first two in england last two both german hope thats of some help
revolution jb blast shockwave power blast 24 spacekitestaurus taureo eliott stigma sport 3m jetstream speed mystic hq observer devil wing 1.7 spiderkites lycos 2.5 atrax .65 1.6 2.2 and highar colours in motion speedster .powerhawk benson deep space

sstrangey

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:25 am

hi looking at my atrax and the wing battens i believe are carbon fibre rods white with a kind of twist about them not fibreglass just was wondering if yours were the same .the carbon fibre is stronger thats the only reason for asking if you have big problems getting some i know i have some carbon fibre rod will measure it up if thats any help
revolution jb blast shockwave power blast 24 spacekitestaurus taureo eliott stigma sport 3m jetstream speed mystic hq observer devil wing 1.7 spiderkites lycos 2.5 atrax .65 1.6 2.2 and highar colours in motion speedster .powerhawk benson deep space

Old Greebo
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:57 am

Steve - GoKites just say 2mm fibreglass rods 'out of stock'. I'm looking around, but most places quote about £2 for what I need, plus £9 for delivery. 2mm fibreglass rod can be coiled, so I reckon £9 is a bit steep.

sstrangey, you may be right re the rods I need. They're white. The outside is (as you say) a kind of twist. Inside, it just looks like a tightly bound bundle of white fibre. Apply a lighter, and it burns black rather than melting to seal the end.

OK, down to what I need. I think I've sorted everything on my URO now, except this pair of composite battens. They are made of 35.1cm of 4mm dia Carbon tube, plus 14.7cm of 2.1mm dia fibreglass (?) rod [including 2cm to be inserted & glued into the carbon tube]. Total joined length 47.8cm. Overall (capped) length 48.3cm.

The original carbon tubes are intact. They have a 2.5mm inside diameter, so the fibreglass (or carbon?) rod I need can be anything from (say) 2mm up to 2.5mm diameter. And so really, I only need two lengths of about 6 inches of rod to effect the repair.

sstrangey, if you've got some spare bits that would help me to get the URO aloft again, I'd be most grateful!

SteveC

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:31 am

Go kites are showing 80cm 2mm gf rods on Ebay @ £1 + £1.95 postage 290733288940.

I still think your best bet is an RC model shop, I've used them before. There is one in your neck of the woods here http://www.westwalesmodels.co.uk/ worth giving them a call or email.
Current Bag:- HQ Shadow, Spiderkites Zodarion, Flying Wings Soul, Old blue HQ Jive , 'PAW' modded HQ Maestro II, Delta Hawk,

Zippy8

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:50 am

Old Greebo wrote:
sstrangey, you may be right re the rods I need. They're white. The outside is (as you say) a kind of twist.

This sort of thing ? Kitehouse have it, Bilboquet have it, I've got a pile of it (in short lengths).... if you simply must have OEM replacement.

Mike.

sstrangey

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:14 pm

no worries will dig it out of shed and let you know thinks its 2.5 mm

sstrangey

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:13 pm

hi dug the rod out should be the right stuff its the same as in my atrax highar wing battens and the kite is pretty much the same dont have any end caps though drop me your address via pm and will post them to you if you still want them cheers

Old Greebo
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:21 pm

PM sent, sstrangey. Many thanks!

Steve, I did see the GoKites item on ebay, but it wasn't clear whether he was selling 2mm or 3mm rod. It was his own website that said out of stock.
Thanks for the 'West Wales Models' pointer. It's less than a mile off the route I have to drive twice every month! I'll do a little detour and have a look next time I go.

Old Greebo
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Got home from a week's holiday today, and two lovely bits of 2mm fibreglass rod were there in my mailbox. Thanks, sstrangey.
If it's cloudy tonight, my URO will be airworthy again by tomorrow. If it's a clear night, astronomy will take precedence over kites! But I'm nearly there now!
Thanks for all the help & encouragement, guys!

Michel

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:11 am

timorohn wrote:
[...] Also flew Long Dong Tiger 2 same day ,faaaaaast and what a noise.
That's right ! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NujhudC9uU

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:48 am

Michel wrote:
timorohn wrote:
[...] Also flew Long Dong Tiger 2 same day ,faaaaaast and what a noise.
That's right ! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NujhudC9uU

sounds like a tie-fighter!
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep