Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

Jules
Topic Author

Nearly Neophyte Tricky treats

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:16 pm

After a couple more outings I've managed to tidy my half axels up quite a bit. I've concentrated on the Gemini UL which I'm really becoming attached to. I wouldn't say I can do a cascade yet but my half axels can come in quite quick succession now. 8)

I find I can roll fade it quite well now and managed a backspin a couple of times and even a triple backspin once. Once the spin is going this seems to happen quite easily but I can't do a backspin reliably.
Has anyone got any tips on getting the Gemini to Backspin. I think, I may be a little high up in the window, thus pulling down on the leading edge at the moment I pop the line. I'm not sure if the nose should be on the upswing or down-swing either. Although I do know I should be popping the lower wing.

I've tried to get some 540's but can't manage anything like what looks right. When the kite is in the flare, nose away and to one side (to the left) I should pop the right line, right? This produces a sort of backwards movement which threatens to reverse over into a fade position.

Any tips here would be appreciated also. Any recommendations for the next tricks in a learning curve would be gratefully received.

For anyone who may interested I've posted up a Revolution Bridle modification in that section of the Forum. I love it and think anyone who tries it probably will too.

All the best,

Jules

Andy S
King of FA

Re: Nearly Neophyte Tricky treats

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:57 am

Andy Wardley remains the go-to man for 540 advice:
http://www.kfs.org/~abw/kite/rec.kites/ezpz540.html

Backspin (when starting) should be done from a stable fade, then push one hand to un-stable it, then pull that hand back smoothly, like starting a lawnmower. NOT an axel-like pop.

Your next trick will be to do both with your off-hand. ;)

kareloh

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:29 am

Don't forget to have loads of slack on the non pulling line while backspinning. Just keep your arm stretched in front of you.

Andy S
King of FA

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:32 am

Yes, non-pulling arm out in front, and you might try walking forward at the same time.

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:08 am

kareloh wrote:
Don't forget to have loads of slack on the non pulling line while backspinning. Just keep your arm stretched in front of you.

Or just drop it altogether! (Admittedly, it makes recovery more "interesting"... :lol: )

nufsed

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi Jules

the 540 comes easily if your body is in the right position. Think of the superman pose :) one arm forward and one arm backwards. also turn your body so that your left leg steps forward when your left hand goes forward and vice versa.

You say that you can get the kite to flare off to one side so you are 75% there already.

Try this mate.

fly kite towards the ground with both arms as far behind you as possible. As the kite approaches the ground take a step forward with left leg and throw both hands forward to slow the kite down and start the flare. Allow your left hand to go all the way forward but stop your right hand somwhere near your right hip pocket. This will cause the nose of the kite to flare off to the left hand side as if starting to rotate through the 540. As the kite is flaring unevenly to the left quickley pop the right hand back a little and then immediatley give loads of slack to both lines by throwing the right hand forward to meet the left hand one in front of you and by walking forward a few paces as well. If the slack is correct the kite will flat spin a 540 and then tajust take up the slack to fly off upwards again.

Tom can do these blindfolded with the fury and his are the best looking I've seen

Backspin now as follows ( Tom has also just got these going on his fury but does have a little trouble getting into the fade sometimes)

learn to get into a stable fade 1st. ( I fly downwards and go into a flare 1st then pull back into the fade position)

Once you are in a stable fade with both hands in front of you and tension just holding it nicely and the nose trying to rise a little ( definately not when the nose is trying to dive) push one hand further forward slowly. This will cause one of your wings to dip towards the ground. ( right hand forward will cause the left hand wing to drop) give it a little time to dip far enough down and also away from you before giving a steady pull with the same hand as the lads mentioned earlier. ( string starter on a lawn lawnmower is the perfect description) As you pull this hand backwards, the wing that was dipping down will rise and rotate through one backspin. Make sure though, as you pull that hand back, to push your opposite hand well in front of you giving plenty of slack and as the lads say walking forwards will nearly always be required except in the lightest of winds. As the nose of the kite comes round to fade start position again just give another long pull on the same hand again to start the 2nd rotation. Just remember to keep the other hand well forward and keep walking forward.

Have fun
Gemini, Rev, 10ft Flexi, Fury .85 (That I still can't fly but Tom Can :), Yellow DS, White/Green DSUL