Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

BLUESKY
Topic Author

FADE

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi all, still fairly new to this
Just aquired a Flexifoil Fury. I have up to now flown HQs and an E2. The kite doesnt seem to want to go into a fade and yet it pancakes very easily in the air. :? If I attempt a fade launch (kite facing away) using my usual inputs, it tends to rise up about 4 foot in a dead flat pancake, then if I try to pop a fade it usually lawn darts.
It has a three point bridle and all the marks seem about right. I realise this is an old model, but just wondered if the above sounded like deja-vu to anyone out there who has flown this kite.
I was thinking of temporary modding bridle to a turbo as shown on Mr Wardley's site to see what happens.

Any feedback would be useful even if it tells me to just leave it alone and get more familiar with it.

Thanks in advance
Peter
Pete
In the bag (and worthy of a mention): Nirvana HW, Silverfox 2.5 std, Prism E2, HQ Maestro I, HQ Shadow

harveystubbs

Re: FADE

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Peter, If the kite flares OK (on it's belly nose facing away) but when you pull both the lines its does not tuck/ rotate into a fade I think there could be one of a few problems. Namely:-

1. The kite tail weight is wrong/ missing.
2. The movement of your hands might need to be more progressive and less aggressive. Some kites are more willing to flick into a fade from a flare some need stroking into it. For instance my ds ul needs to be gently coaxed but is a brilliant kite.
3. Try and not let the nose go too far away in the flare when pulling a flare to fade in flight.
4. Your bridle is still set up wrong perhaps. Shortening the top leg might help this and also the wind performance. Just wrap it once around either end of the upper spreader in light wind to try this before you alter it permanently if you like.

I have not flown the E2 but I have heard it is a bit on the heavy side. Remember there needs to be enough wind to hold the fade or you need to create some (ooerr) by moving backwards (phew). Hope this helps, Harv

Zippy8

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:42 pm

BLUESKY wrote:
Just aquired a Flexifoil Fury. I have up to now flown HQs and an E2. The kite doesnt seem to want to go into a fade and yet it pancakes very easily in the air.

The Fury takes a slightly different technique - you roll the kite back and forth with longer and more deliberate pulls, rather than popping it back.

If I attempt a fade launch (kite facing away) using my usual inputs, it tends to rise up about 4 foot in a dead flat pancake

Yup. You're popping the lines, right ? Try a slower, longer pull then give slack once the nose starts to rotate under.

I was thinking of temporary modding bridle to a turbo as shown on Mr Wardley's site to see what happens.

Leather winged demons of hell will descend upon you from all corners. Still... your choice :wink:

Mike.

harveystubbs

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:21 pm

For the record I prefer Mike's response to mine .... Leather winged demons indeed.

Bluesky - If you do modify the bridle then please let us know what happens! Distinctly Buffy.

Best of luck H

RoyReed

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

BLUESKY
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:15 am

A long day... just got chance to visit forum
...thanks for all the ideas and suggestions

Went up Dunstable this evening, not too much wind (2-6mph) but practice is practice, and tried:

Rolling it - Mike I see what you mean compared to what I've flown up to now - I did manage one mid air fade...
... but only after I altered the bridle

Shortened top leg (and inner leg for a while) - Harv it certainly behaved itself better and seemed to stay in the air easier
Then I put it all back to standard to compare - it wasn't as good. But I still left thinking the angle of the kite is too far back

So Roy - Great link to the settings. If my Flexifoil Fury should be as the KRD version, it means bridle is fitted upside down, so I've changed it.
Will keep you posted on results
I still may try a temp turbo mod sometime
Pete
Pete
In the bag (and worthy of a mention): Nirvana HW, Silverfox 2.5 std, Prism E2, HQ Maestro I, HQ Shadow