Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

timf33
Topic Author

First Flight with DS...........Impressed and Confused!!!!

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:47 pm

Firstly... thank you to Stephen Tonkins for selling me his DS and everyone I met at Epsom for the One Sky One World event.. Adrian (Atho), Popeye, Piero, Russ + Mrs Russ, and everyone else whose name I've forgotten!!

Well, due to an absolute shocker of a week, daughter in hospital for three days with a partial collapsed lung amongst other things, I decided to go to St Annes beach to give the DS it maiden flight.

Bearing in mind I've not flown a "proper" kite before, I think I did o.k. I can axel at both edges of the window, fade launch, tip stand, dodgy looking coin toss, landing and my abiltiy to recover astounded me!

The only real issues I've had today is when trying to snap stall.... I can seem to do it, I can't side slide, and when I attempted 1/2 Axels all i seem to get is tip wrap, even though I think I'm giving enough slack. Need to learn a bit more about fade control!!

Any advice on the above would be grateful... and I can see this becoming addictive ( couldn't get the grin off my face going from one edge of the window, axel, then to the other, axel to unwind lines.)

Just to add insult to injury, some one ran up the back of my car on the way home!!!!!

Tim

Popeye

Re: First Flight with DS...........Impressed and Confused!!!!

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 am

Hi Tim hope your daughter is ok.
Snap stalls are not the easyest trick to do on the DS but are still quite do-able I think the key is not to do them too quickly.The way I do it is to turn the palms inward towards the body a tiny push on the top wing followed by a small pop on the top wing followed by a push on the bottom wing snap back to neutral then push with both hands and may be a step or two forewards depending on wind speed. It sounds like you may be over cooking the half axles to get tip wraps and there could also be too much slack try smaller movements. Have a look dave morley's description for doing slides in the archives there's some really good tips in there. Hope this helps and welcome to the long slippery slope :P

timf33
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi Dave, cheers for that, Lucy seems to be better although she's now got a cold on the way!!!!
Thanks for the tips, tried searching for side slides, can't find Dave Morley's post, can you put a link to it for me.
Thanks in advance
Tim
PS need to buy some crampons to stop the slipping :D

Popeye

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:30 pm

Just dug it out page3 tenth post down by Mobius.
http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5539&start=30

timf33
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:38 pm

Cheers Dave