Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

cristobal
Topic Author

New kite: Spirit of Air Javelin

Tue May 25, 2010 3:23 pm

I just got my second kite in (since the Jive is "parked" while I fix it up). And I had SOOO much fun at lunchtime! I don't know why, maybe the extra bit of breeze helped, but it was suddenly might easier to control and "keep on top" of it (only crashed it a few times over the whole session - which is another improvement).

I got the pink & purple colour sail model off ebay for a very good price. And also saw another one (black/red/yellow) go for twice the money I paid for mine.

I'd like to know if I picked the better kite as I really don't know much about what I bought in the first place (other that I probably got a good deal overall). I'll try to post a link of the item I won.

cristobal
Topic Author

Re: New kite: Spirit of Air Javelin

Tue May 25, 2010 4:07 pm

RoyReed

Tue May 25, 2010 4:08 pm

Spirit of Air is a good company. The Javelin is the largest in their 'Classic' range. I've never flown one, but I'd expect it to be a reasonable performer and it's just over 6' span so it shouldn't be too twitchy.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Andy S
King of FA

Tue May 25, 2010 6:53 pm

My brother had one before I even had a kite. It's robust and flys well, but I don't know what the trick repertoire is like, if anything.

cristobal
Topic Author

Thu May 27, 2010 3:34 pm

The Javelin has now been complemented with a (small) rip courteousy of a mutt. I've ordered some ripstop tape to 'plug the hole'. Shall I put some tape on both faces (front and back) of the sail or just one will suffice?

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 27, 2010 8:46 pm

If the rip is small you may be able to use super glue to fix it almost invisibly.

Close the rip and use some masking tape to keep the ripped fabric edges as close together as possible - the aim here is to try and tape the sail as close to it's pre-ripped condition as you can.

On the other side of the sail to the masking tape, apply a very small amount of super glue along the rip, and let it dry.

Remove the masking tape, and you should have a strong and nearly invisible repair.

If you have some spare ripstop around, you should try this out on that to get the hang of it. I found quickly wiping the still wet super glue with my finger along the rip helped it dry quickly (just be careful what you touch afterwards with that finger). I have also found breathing on the glue after it has been applied helps it dry quickly (I believe the water vapour in your breath accelerates the dry of the glue).
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

cristobal
Topic Author

Thu May 27, 2010 8:56 pm

misterbleepy wrote:
If the rip is small you may be able to use super glue to fix it almost invisibly...

The rip is only about 2cm long.
Thanks Keith for the tips, I shall try the masking tape and superglue method first. It is best to do the repair without any tension in the sail, isn't it?

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu May 27, 2010 9:00 pm

cristobal wrote:
It is best to do the repair without any tension in the sail, isn't it?

That's the way I have done it in the past - tension in the sail will tend to open the rip - wait until the glue is dry before you tension the sail.
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

cristobal
Topic Author

Thu May 27, 2010 9:09 pm

Ok I'll try that tomorrow if possible. Thanks. :-)

RoyReed

Thu May 27, 2010 10:31 pm

Welcome to the joys of Clapham Common (I assume). :(
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

cristobal
Topic Author

Thu May 27, 2010 10:42 pm

RoyReed wrote:
Welcome to the joys of Clapham Common (I assume). :(

Correct. Thankfully it isn't too bad. And the dog owner was very good. It could have been worse, that big pupp really wanted to chew and destroy the kite.