Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S, Jason

SAW
Topic Author

Fury.85 tips ?

Fri May 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi,

Had one of these for a while and really like but find it hard to get into a fade. I haven't played with the bridle settings at all, should I if so which one's best ? I think I read somewhere about adding weight to the top spreader ??? or any other tips.

Thanks

Simon.
Last edited by SAW on Tue May 11, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Fury .85 tips ?

Fri May 07, 2010 8:26 pm

A bit of 6mm pultrude inside the top spreader.

I tried some 6mm fibreglass but that was too much for me

ObijuanKenobe

Fri May 07, 2010 8:35 pm

Buy a different kite? :P (That was mainly for Chris ;) )

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

ElusiveStranger

Sat May 08, 2010 2:31 am

I can't get on with mine, same prob as you!
AS blue, anyone want it? Reasonable offer
But I'm bobbins.
Love my Soul (thanks "Oldflyer") & A'tillier Transfer
Gem's now a backburner - I adored that rig!

Zippy8

Sat May 08, 2010 3:53 am

SAW wrote:
Had one of these for a while and really like but find it hard to get into a fade.

How are you trying to get into this Fade ? A Fractured Axel shouldn't offer you any problems but if you're coming out of a Flare back into it then you may need to adjust your technique - it's an extended pull back, not a pop as it is on some other kites. Sort of like rolling the kite back and forth not yanking it.

Once in the Fade it should hold there with no more than a little attention from you. It's not mad-stable like a Matrix but it won't fall out too easily either. Stuffing the US is a detail balance thing, not a reinvention of the kite.

Mike.

tricksyme

Sat May 08, 2010 6:18 am

I agree with Ian about stuffing the u/s. I found it gives the kite a little more speed during certain tricks.

I have never had trouble getting mine into a fade, its as Mike said, adjust your technique. Start with the kite on the ground in a flare position, hard pop the lines, and the kite just jumps up in the flare position. Start with the kite in the same way (flare position on the ground) and gently pull on the lines, the kite will automaticaly fade. Same thing applys when your in the air.

SAW
Topic Author

Sat May 08, 2010 9:57 am

Hi,

I can't get into a fade from an axel, yet :oops: so I either start on the ground (belly down nose away) or from a flare but find it just don't seem to get all the way round always seem's to stop with the nose pointing down, I'm sure I give enough slack, maybe I'm to hard on the pop or something ? :-( Yes it's probably me but thought adding some weight might help it swing around better ?

Simon.

jaydub

Sat May 08, 2010 11:17 am

I've no experience with the .85, but struggled with the Talon for a long time (which admittedly is a completely different kite). My big step forward was when I recognised that I needed to step the kite to provide extra slack when pulling it back to the fade. The kite will come round to the fade with its own momentum if given enough slack. If it starts flying downwards half way through the move it is either too soft a pull or the kite has simply run out of slack and is flying off because of the tension on the lines.

tricksyme

Sat May 08, 2010 2:12 pm

I think jaydub is right. Not enough slack. This works for me, so you could try this.
With the kite on the ground, belly down, nose away, gently pull on the lines so the tail lifts off the ground, around 12-18 inches or so. At this point throw slack very fast at the kite, you may also need to step forward a little. The kite should now be in a fade which you can control in the normal way.

This works for me with the u/s stuffed and unstuffed.

Keep trying and good luck.

nufsed

Tue May 11, 2010 12:07 am

Hi Simon
same problems with me as well. Bought it over a year ago and my son Tom mainly flies it but loses interest quickley as it is tough to fly. After flying my DS and then going onto the fury I can't even axel properly. Tried some flares into fade on Sunday and it only hops up or flys tail down towards the ground Chris is the master and certainly makes the kite do things I only dream of. Maybe a bit more practice for me or it has to go too. Any offers lads??? Sorry Tom - I will find you something else to fly :) Will try some more slack to see if it stays or goes :)

BTW- Whilst trying the fury Tom jumped on my DS and asked how to 540 it. Told him the basic arm movements and 1st time he knocks one out smooth as silk. Jammy git. I will have problems now getting the DS back off him

Darren

PS what do you think of the DSUL - thinking about one for myself
Gemini, Rev, 10ft Flexi, Fury .85 (That I still can't fly but Tom Can :), Yellow DS, White/Green DSUL

Zippy8

Tue May 11, 2010 12:38 am

nufsed wrote:
Tried some flares into fade on Sunday and it only hops up or flys tail down towards the ground

Thou shalt not pop. Thou shalt pull.

From a vertical dive, kill the kite with a swift push forward on both lines. Once the kite is Pancaked try a slow pull back, gradually accelerating before you throw your arms forward for the slack and a gentle cushioning of the kite onto the lines to hold it in a Fade. Yes, it's a bit different to the DS but not actually difficult as such.

If you still can't get it then overdo the kill and try it that way.

Mike.

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue May 11, 2010 7:30 pm

The .85, like most smallish kites are twitchy. A small movement has a bigger result compared to say the full sized fury. Movements are induced mostly by hand movement but also what you do with your feet. Sometimes the latter is easily forgotten.. so try walking forwards or backwards when learning a new trick to see if it helps. Generally though.. remember that you need to do less than you think.

Also consider that trick methods alter slightly depending upon wind strength. Sometimes you need to stand still.. sometimes you're running forward.

For the fade :

1) Do a really bad half axel in the middle of the window at around 20% up from the ground. The axel should be such that it only just rotates to the point where nose is pointing directly away from you. The kite should be flat like a pancake.

First practice getting this right.

If you get too much rotation.. your axel 'flick' is too strong. Do less hand movement.. or take a step forward to soften it.

2) Once you've cracked 1, move on by pulling softly on both hands. This action more like pulling a rug rather than a sudden flick. It starts slow and then builds up speed.

This should cause the kite to rotate down and under itself to move towards the fade. Again.. you are aiming to only "just" get to the fade locking point. Again.. think about your feet as stepping forward is a key to controlling this.

If you find the kite hurtles around and bounces off the lines and back out again.. your tug is too hard. Do less.

If you only get half way and never make it in to the fade, your tug isn't enough.. or you need to step forward more.

You can obviously practice this from the ground with the kite flat on its belly with the nose pointing away from you. However it is slightly harder in my view and requires more movement on the ground.

3) Getting in to the fade is one thing.. staying in a fade is quite another topic and takes lots and lots of practice. So don't be too discouraged if you can't hold a fade for long.

The .85 can be a bit tail heavy. If you find the nose naturally wanting to rise too much, you may find adding a bit of nose weight. (I do this by stuffing my top spreader with a smaller diameter piece of carbon, but you could equally tape some coins to the top of the spine to test this quickly).

The fade is a balancing act, so you'll be surprised how much you can alter the ease of this trick just by adding a small amount of weight to either the tail or nose of the kite. Once you've mastered the trick you might then find your skill is such that you can adjust the flying attitude of the fade without the assistance of additional weight.. which of course might affect other tricks (positively or negatively).

If you have weight on nose AND tail.. you create a flywheel effect which can make the initial rotation in to the fade effortless. Remember though.. a small amount of weight will have a reasonable effect. Just adding 20p's worth of weight will make a noticeable difference.

To control the fade further..
Softly move forward.. causes nose to rise and kite to rise.
Stand still.. nose drops.. kite flattens.. kite descends.
Soft tug on the right.. kite dips to the left... and moves to the left.
Soft tug on the left.. kite dips to the right.. and moves to the right.

I would not recommend altering the bridle. Do ensure that it is at its factory settings as it can slip.

Hope this helps
Dave Morley

SAW
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2010 10:18 pm

Thanks very much Dave 8-)

Simon.
Last edited by SAW on Tue May 11, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nufsed

Re: Fury.85 tips ?

Tue May 11, 2010 10:46 pm

thanks for the tips Dave

Bad axels are my thing so part 1 is the easy bit ;) Definately won't have to practice that much :)

I've never really considerd the .85 twitchy as such as I find everything takes more effort to perform on this kite. ( only flown a Gemini and DS before this) Probably my own mistakes though. I will have another go before I put it up for sale as I am determined to master a few tricks with it. Will keep you posted on my progress.

thanks darren ( and tom)
Gemini, Rev, 10ft Flexi, Fury .85 (That I still can't fly but Tom Can :), Yellow DS, White/Green DSUL

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Fury.85 tips ?

Wed May 12, 2010 7:21 pm

nufsed wrote:
thanks for the tips Dave

Bad axels are my thing so part 1 is the easy bit ;) Definately won't have to practice that much :)

I've never really considerd the .85 twitchy as such as I find everything takes more effort to perform on this kite. ( only flown a Gemini and DS before this) Probably my own mistakes though. I will have another go before I put it up for sale as I am determined to master a few tricks with it. Will keep you posted on my progress.

thanks darren ( and tom)

Different brands of kites do have their own characteristics. So you will need to put in a bit more effort to adjust to the different inputs required when moving across to the .85. It did take me a good while to get used to it myself.

I find it twitchy, but then again I find all trick kites twitchy as I'm used to flying the full size version.

Stick with it a bit longer 8-)
Dave Morley